Friday, May 29, 2009

CD Ladders

Simply put, a CD ladder is a collection of CDs bought at regular intervals so that they’ll mature at regular intervals as well. Let’s say I wanted to create a simple CD ladder out of six month CDs. I buy one on the first of each month for six months. Then, on the first day of the seventh month, that first CD I bought matures and I collect a nice return. I can then either buy a new CD for the original amount and pocket the return, just keep all of the return and the original amount for some purchase, or I can buy a new CD for the total return. After that, each month, a CD matures and I can either buy a new one or use it for something else.

Advantages
  • Usually higher rates than a savings account
  • Recurring income
  • Easy liquidity
Disadvantages
  • Taxes.
  • Money is locked in.

No comments: